Hello,

> Gesendet: Montag, 08. Juli 2013 um 12:53 Uhr
> Von: "Alyssa Milburn" <amilb...@math.leidenuniv.nl>
> An: "Gianfranco Costamagna" <costamagnagianfra...@yahoo.it>
> Cc: "boinc_dev@ssl.berkeley.edu" <boinc_dev@ssl.berkeley.edu>
> Betreff: Re: [boinc_dev] boinc libstdc++ linking
>
> On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 11:44:35AM +0100, Gianfranco Costamagna wrote:
> > Ok Alyssa I understand your point, so something like
> > if
> >    don't have any libstdc++ at all
> > then
> >    link it statically
> > else
> >    link dinamically
> >
> > could be good enough?
>
> You build the apps on the server, and distribute only the binaries to
> the clients (usually).
>
> The apps are meant to be run on the *clients*, and you don't know what
> libstdc++ is on the clients.
>
> So, you have to build the apps so that they're compatible with as many
> distributions/versions as possible, which usually means static linking.
> But.. I thought that this is a problem for libc anyway, which is why
> the instructions say to use an old VM for building apps:
>
> http://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/CompileAppLinux

You can link statically, including the libc or the libstdc++. Just, what
you redistribute gets larger.

> So I think it's almost impossible to build compatible apps as a Debian
> or Ubuntu package, unless I misunderstand something. It's an annoying
> problem.

Redistributing binaries with a Debian/Ubuntu package? This is what
Debian/Ubuntu is all about. You just need to provide a package for every
version of the distribution ... well ... at least this is what Debian/Ubuntu
do. The packages with apps for BOINC follow the naming scheme  boinc-app-X
and the one I find to work very nicely is boinc-app-seti. We take it a bit
to the extreme and even link dynamically to as much as we can, which includes
the two BOINC libraries.

The binaries are prepared by build demons for all distributions (just like
what the Ubuntu already has for everyone with its PPA (and Debian soon gets
and has for packages in backports.debian.org). I would expect it to be possible
to cherry-pick the binary autobuilt for an older Ubuntu version, say, Lucid,
and use those binaries for a Linux-wide redistribution - if you just linked
statically - just do it and then reupload a dynamic version.

Steffen