> > > I will try to set up another page at Boost Wiki to explain in
> > > detail what I mean by multiplexing library.

This is interesting, but the only intersection with sockets seems
to be at the socket_stream level (which appears to be an undefined
concept in the current wiki pages, but is in the server code example).
Is there a reason why we can't define a simple socket library first
as a lower layer without the complications of multiplexing and
threading and then add those on top?

>...lots of detail removed...
>
> The only hassle is that deriving a streambuf can be a little bit
> daunting but I think this is small price to pay.  The big payoff is with
> filter streams as you can use them in blocking and nonblocking socket
> IO.

I think the payoff is also big.  We should use std::streambuf until
it breaks down.  If it breaks down, then we will know what to recommend
to the committee to fix it...

Jeff