"Fernando Cacciola" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> ----------
> Attempt 1:
> ==========
>
> If I run putty.exe with pageant running with the key loaded,
> and configured as:
>
>   Host Name: cvs.boost.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/boost
>   Protocol: SSH2 (Port 22)
>   Autologin: fcacciola  (which is my SourceForge User ID)
>
> and click on 'Open', I'm asked for the password.
> If I enter my SourceForge account password, I get a message saying something
> like:
>
> "welcome to SurceForge.net. This is a restricted shell.
> You cannot execute anything here."
>
> And the conncetion is automatically closed.
> So PuTTY is a dead end...

No, that's the expected behavior.  You CAN'T stay logged in to that
account.  The attempt to login is all you needed to do to create your
home directory.

> ----------
> Attempt 2:
> ==========
> If I run WinCVS configured as:
>
>    Authentication: ssh
>        [
>          with settings for:
>             "plink.exe (or putty.exe) -v -ssh -i<keyfile>"
>           or
>             "plink.exe (or putty.exe) -v -ssh -l fcacciola -pw
> <my-password>"
>        ]
>    Host Address: cvs.boost.sourceforge.net
>    User Name: fcacciola
>    CVSROOT: [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/cvsroot/boost
>
> I Select optional.hpp and choose 'Add selection', then I get:
>
>   NEW CVSROOT: [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/cvsroot/boost (ssh
> authentication)
>   cvs add optional.hpp (in directory
> C:\Libraries\boost\Repository\boost\boost\)
>   cvs95 add: Empty password used - try 'cvs login' with a real password
>   cvs95 [add aborted]: Error reading from server cvs.boost.sourceforge.net:
> 0
>
> Sometimes I get:
>
>   cvs [server aborted]: "add" requires write access to the repository
>
> instead of "Error reading from ..."

Don't know anything about this plink stuff.  What's the point?

> ----------------
> Attempt 3:
> ==========
>
> In a DOS box:
>
>   plink.exe cvs.boost.sourceforge.net -l fcacciola -pw <pass>
> cvs -d:ext:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/cvsroot/boost -z3 add
> optional.hpp
>
> after a few seconds I'm stuck there: there is no output but plink.exe keeps
> running...

What the heck is plink?
Forget about that; all you need is cvs -d:ext:...

HTH,
--
                       David Abrahams
   [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.boost-consulting.com