The article in question can be found at
http://www.foo.be/docs/tpj/issues/vol4_1/tpj0401-0002.html
(I had a hard time finding it via tpj.com, but Google worked.)

Unfortunately I think that the USPS site
http://www.usps.com/cgi-bin/zip4/zip4inq
needed to run this script is no more.
A search there for zip4inq produced nothing.

Does anyone know of a similar page, wither by the USPS or
another provider of (web) services?

Hopefully helpfully yours,
Steve
--
Steven Tolkin    steve . tolkin at fmr dot com   617-563-0516
Fidelity Investments   82 Devonshire St. V4D     Boston MA 02109