You may find more useful information as a registered USPS developer:

http://www.USPSPriorityMail.com/et_regcert.html

If you don't want to register before you get more answers, read carefully through their web tools documents available here:

http://www.uspswebtools.com/

I believe the most relavant information to your problem can be found here:

http://www.usps.com/ncsc/addressinfo/addressinfomenu.htm

Their is a lot of data and can be obtained on CD-ROM for a fee. I don't remember how large the fee is, but the similar data is available through other sources.

This information applies to US zip codes only.

Similar information is available for other countries, but compiling postal code information and addressing rules for the whole world is a monumental task.

There are various modules on CPAN that take good stabs at standardizing postal addresses. However, you will find the results will be woefully inadequate for the purpose of deduping.

I think you'll find that getting your project to even 95% certainty is practically impossible. Even companies like TransUnion and Experian, who's primary purpose is to give a potential creditor an accurate view of your credit based on easily identifiable information like your address and full name, have difficulty doing this. Recently, my local electric company charged me a security deposit because they could not verify my relationship to my social security number through a credit agency. The problem, it turned out, was they could not match "Lipton, Daniel" to "Daniel M. Lipton".

My advice is to use DoubleTake if the licensing fee is not prohibitive. If you don't like it, you can always attempt something different in Perl. :-)

--
Daniel M. Lipton