I'd like to offer an example of the somewhat perturbing situations that seem
to come up.
I use MS Outlook 2000 (not much choice at the office).

Here's how Outlook saw this message from Sean Quinlan:
It's a message that has as its body just what you see below (the Boston.pm
mailing list footer) and an untitled email message as an attachment.
Opening up that untitled email attachment gives me an email with *no*
content at all, and a text file attachment (called in this case
"ATT494796.txt", which may be a feature of Outlook, I don't know).
Opening *that* attachment finally gets me to the actual text of Sean's
message.
I have no idea what it would look like if there were a code snippet attached
to it.

Clearly this is a very different experience from up-arrowing through my
messages and reading them in the "preview pane".

I know this is really a thread about viruses, but as many others probably
feel much as I do that attachments in general are suspect unless I know
exactly what they're for, I'd like to dissuade use of them for anything that
could be presented just in the plain text of an email message.
Long code examples are completely reasonable to have as attachments, to me.

Of course, if someone can help me tweak Outlook to make these nested
messages less of a pain to read, I'd be quite grateful too :-)