>From experience (2000+ users, lots of research) I would recommend
either qmail-ldap or Postfix for mail delivery (MTA) and Courier IMAP
for IMAP and POP service.

LDAP is essential if you plan to run a serious mail server.  There's
very few alternatives to a well-managed LDAP server for your user
user directory.  qmail-ldap is very good for this.

If you just want a mail server for yourself without LDAP, Postfix is
great.  I like it a lot for small setups (less than 100 users) but
Qmail is better for large setups based on my experience.

You should deliver mail in the Maildir format.  mbox format is easy to
understand but terrible in almost every other way.  A huge plus to
Maildirs is that you can NFS-share them safely.

Courier IMAP is very reliable and standards-compliant.  People also
like Cyrus and Binc, but stay away from UW IMAP.  It's s-l-o-w (at
least partly because of the mbox storage).

I can go into details on any of these if needed.

Ted