On Fri, 03 Dec 2004, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>> Courier IMAP is very reliable and standards-compliant.
>
> The problem with Courier IMAP is the support community. When I
> researched it I found several people complaining about how the lead
> developer(s) ran the project. So I avoided it.
>
> I ended up using maildrop, which is a component of Courier, and after
> contributing documentation and attempting to open a discussion of how a
> certain feature worked, I found the lead developer to be very closed to
> new ideas.

I agree, but I find the quality of Sam's answers and software to be
proportional to their directness (the djb effect).  I am certain
Courier IMAP is the best IMAP server I've tried.  My tests were
extensive.  To stay sort of on topic, the programmatic tests were in
Perl, using the Mail::IMAPClient CPAN module.  The UI tests were done
with Mozilla, Emacs Gnus, and Pine.

> Dovecot is the complete opposite. It may not be the most polished
> solution, but the lead developer is competent and very open to new ideas
> and contributors.

I tried it and it had too many problems a year ago.  Perhaps I'll give
it another try...  It would have to be awfully good to replace
Courier, though.

Ted