On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 13:08:37 -0500, Aaron Sherman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 07:54, Kate Wood wrote:
>
> > [...] the barriers to learning and using Perl
> [...]
> > Managers, [...] expect you to have [available certification]
>
> You do realize that those are orthoganal, right?

Orthoganal, but not irrelevant. Some people do actually make decisions
on what to learn based on relevance to their job.

> Side note: If you're looking to break into programming, start
> contributing to open source projects. There's nothing more valuable than
> saying, "well, I might not be certified, but I did write the software
> that runs your company."

Thanks for the advice :> Given that I did write a noticable chunk of
the software
that runs my company (in Perl for the most part, because I'm lucky and
get to use what works, instead of flavor of the week), I have to
agree.

- Kate