Joel,

Neat demo of Google MAPS API! And wicked elegant, pulling the hidden XML
reply packet out for data. I like it. For occasional use, this is
awesome.

For serious bulk geocoding (anything beyond Eagle's free 50 samples,
anything worth automating), using Google is both overkill and way too
chatty on the network. A local Geo::Coder::US TIGER/DB would handle bulk
geocoding all in-house.  And I suspect the GoogleMaps API terms of
service will crack down on excessive commercial use ... and unclear if
Google Maps will be updating their Geocoding data with exception reports
as assiduously as the commercial providers are.

http://geocoder.us/ is available both online and offline, free*, using
Geo::Coder::US and TIGER/Line DB.

* The Geocoder.US WebService and on-line data is under a
**NonCommercial-ShareAlike** license, so not considered Free Software
under the Debian definition, not useable for business/commercial
purposes w/o paying. (But their prices are a bargain for commercial use
compared to the competition.) The
http://search.cpan.org/~sderle/Geo-Coder-US/ module however has the Perl
license, specified as 5.8.3 or later. And the data is USGovt Copyright,
which is both Free and Libre as well. So if you download the data and
PMs and build your own DB, it's apparently FLOSS usable commercially ...
even under the Debian definition ... w/o need for webservice connection.
Which is a win if you have enough of it to do, and don't need to pay
someone to update the database with corrections.

I make extensive use of geocoder.us in cleaning the data for my (very
non-commercial) Perl+PHP+MySQL mapping project at
http://ema.arrl.org/fd/fd_dir.php (which charts the sites you can see
Ham Radio in action in Easter Mass in a little over a week, June 25-26,
Field Day weekend).

Cheers,

Bill Ricker
Not speaking for The Firm