>>Sounds like the stretch of road -- now sadly renumbered, I think -- that
>>was simultaneously Route 128 South and Interstate 93 North, hence
>>
>>    <http://devers.homeip.net:8080/images/128.gif>

What made that stretch of road even more wonderfully twisted is the fact
that you were traveling EAST at the time! It made for a nice Boston
trivia question.

It has indeed been renumbered; Route 128 now ends at the 93/95
intersection in Dedham. And the 128 designation of most of the road
(except for the part northeast of Danvers, where it does not coexist
with any interstate highway) has been deemphasized; you can barely spot
the Route 128 signs on the rest of the road.