On 7/6/05, Andres Monroy-Hernandez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> One of the creators of Net::Z3950 mentioned that this error cannot be
> caught by eval because is not in the perl program itself, but rather in
> the interpreter, "deep voodoo magic" he said :-)
>
> Is there any other approach you can think of in order to catch something
> like this? I am running this in a CGI application; therefore die-ing
> like this is not very nice.

Without looking at the source to Net::Z3950, what about writing a
generating a temporary Perl program that makes the query and prints
serialized data? It might not be that efficient for serving a
bazillion requests, but you could trap the error code.

Hint: Use File::Temp to generate temporary files, Storable or YAML to
do the serialization, and $^X to get the path to the currently running
Perl executable.

--
Ian Langworth