Deborah Harrell wrote:

> --- The Fool wrote:
> > http://proliberty.com/observer/20020907.htm
>
> "She goes on to say that doctors need to understand
> that vaccines contain toxic ingredients and foreign
> DNA that do not belong in the bodies of people. She
> believes it is up to ordinary citizens to insist that
> physicians do the reading and the math. When they have
> done their homework, Dr. Tenpenny claims that it
> becomes nearly impossible for physicians to justify
> vaccinating children as the most intelligent way to
> immunize them from childhood diseases."
>
> I don't have the time at the moment, but I will
> respond more fully later; however, I must point out
> that a mere 50 years ago, people feared summer as 'the
> season of polio' and that 'iron lungs' became a thing
> of the past once vaccinations were available.  Also,
> DNA is _not_ part of all (or even most) vaccines; many
> are made of the _outer_ coats of bacteria or viruses.

I hadn't gotten to that link yet (started working my way backwards
through the list of links to check, only got through the one extremely
long one with the Loftus testimony, in the "terrorism in america" post
Kneem sent yesterday), but you pushed me to it.  :)  I, too, have a
number of things to say about it.

Just picking on polio, for one:

1)  Sometime in the first decade of the 20th century (1904 or 1905), my
grandmother's sister woke up and couldn't walk.  Her doctor father
checked her out, couldn't find anything immediately wrong, but decided
she was right.  He made her a crutch.  By the end of the next day, she
was chasing my grandmother around the house and hitting her with the
crutch.  Her father figured it had been polio.  She recovered just fine.

2)  Sometime in the late 1930s, my mother's brother was sick with
something.  After he recovered, *his* doctor father noticed he was
walking with a limp, and figured it had been polio.  He was never
terribly athletic, and retained a very slight limp throughout the rest
of his childhood.  So he *mostly* recovered.

3)  Sometime in the 1950s, not quite sure exactly which year, there was
a polio outbreak that killed my father's brother (the one who had been
most like a father to him after *their* father had died), left one of
his wife's legs much thinner than the other, and crippled their young
son.  (I think he was 3 at the time.)

Given everything polio has done to my family, damned if I'm going to let
it do anything more.  Sure, there are risks with any vaccine, but I
would much rather roll *those* dice than not have my child immunized and
roll *that* particular set of dice.

It's a lot nicer to spend a day or two comforting a child who's having a
reaction from a vaccine or three than to actually deal with the child
getting the disease and being *sick* for a lot longer than that, and
possibly carry effects of that illness for the rest of his life (if he
*has* a "rest of his life" after the illness).

Oh, and you can contain a disease without vaccinating 100% of the
population, but if the vaccination rate falls too low, the unvaccinated
will be sitting ducks, the lot of them.  And that's totally unfair to
the ones who weren't vaccinated due to contraindications, because
they'll probably be hit harder.  If you're not going to vaccinate your
kid for some non-medical ideological reason, I don't want him anywhere
near mine.  (So THERE!  :P)

        Julia

who skipped one childhood vaccination due to medical contraindications,
and who really doesn't appreciate others willfully putting people like
her at an extra risk