At 12:55 01-11-2002 -0600, Dan Minette wrote:

> If he uses that sort of  methods, he is likely to use other
> questionable reasons as well to decide whether or not to fire an
> employee (such as "how often does this employee leave his desk to get
> some coffee?" and "I am a smoker -- is this employee opposed to
> smoking?"). Not the kind of employer *I* would want to work for.

To put it bluntly, you are speaking from ignorance.
Actually, it is worse: I am speaking from experience. I have seen employers use literally anything to determine whether or not to fire someone. I have even had one employer who kept track of how often I went to the toilet...

Not everyone works for the government.
Who said anything about working for the government?

However, when someone is looking for work, they don't need a question
mark by their name.  That is usually enough to get someone in the discard
pile.
Then that person should show such behaviour that such a question mark would not appear in the first place. Everyone is responsible for his/her own actions and the consequences of those actions. I mean, if you had a criminal record, and an employer would decide not to hire you because of that criminal record, would you blame the government for your not-getting-the-job because they keep such records?

> Second, it would not make any difference if I would put such messages
> on a website, because those messages are already a matter of public record
> record (they are available from at least two on-line archives).

You know better than that.  Its like saying that it makes no difference,
given that a needle exists  in a haystack in the state of Kansas, that
someone offers a service to fetch the needle for someone and place it on
their desk.  After all, it was in an accessable place.
Your analogy is flawed: finding something about FREX you on the Web would be several orders of magnitude easier than finding a needle of which you only know that it is in a haystack somewhere in Kansas. Example: I just did a Google search on "Dan Minette"; Google returned 232 results and only needed 0.18 seconds for it.

I challenge you to find a needle in an haystack in Kansas within 0.18 seconds... <GRIN>

There are billions upon billions of bytes of information on the www. To
set things up so that negative information is selected when someone's name
is typed in a search engine is not the same as it being buried in near
100,000 messages of one of hundreds of thousands of mailing lists and
newsgroups.
Let's assume for a moment that I had put some negative information about you on a website; what would be the odds of an employer selecting that specific link from the hundreds of results a search on your name would generate?

Jeroen "You do the crime, you do the time" van Baardwijk