On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 09:25:19PM -0500, David Hobby wrote:

> Deborah Harrell wrote:
>
> > in birthrate) [pg 512; this is a pdf file and I was unable to
> > copy the paragraphs I wanted - I'm sure I will be quite chagrined
> > when someone points out to me the simple way of doing this <sigh>
> > (instead of highlighting the text I wanted, mouseclicking made the
> > hand symbol move the 'page,' and I couldn't disable the 'hand' at
> > the toolbar) :P ]:
>
>       A simple way?  I don't count buying a real copy of Adobe
> Acrobat simple.  There is free software to recover text from
> .pdf files (if they are not scanned in).  I've used it, but it
> removes most of the formatting too.  Here's a web-based program:
> http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/access_onlinetools.html
>
>       If there's a better way, I'd like to know too.

Acrobat Reader has a "text select tool" in the icon bar. Just select,
then drag the text and copy. (The "T" icon can let you select a text
select tool, a column select tool, or a graphics select tool, the choice
pops up if you click on it in the right way, but I think the text select
tool should be the one that is there by default)

--
"Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       http://www.erikreuter.net/