Sonja van Baardwijk-Holten wrote:

> Julia Thompson wrote:
>
> > Get him his own set of tools, starting with things it would be harder to
> > hurt himself with.  :)
>
> Any suggestions? I could start him off on a rubber hammer maybe. ;o)

A rubber mallet is a very useful thing.  I think we could use another
one around here.

Crescent wrenches aren't too bad.  A crescent wrench implies something
that's already tooled to fit together, just needing tightening or
something.  (Of course, you can over-tighten, and get problems that
way.  Fortunately, Bowflex will send replacement bolts if you ask them.)

Nut drivers.  He probably could use a couple of them for taking apart
computers, if not everything at your house is a laptop and he wants to
tinker.

Screwdrivers could be hazardous.  Especially if you use one to try to
help clean grout between ceramic tiles.  (You can end up sharpening the
screwdriver that way.  At least, that's what happened when my mom used
one for the purpose.)

> To be fair I have to admit that although Jeroen is somewhat of a dummy at any
> form of constructive DIY he is very good at the destructive kind. Last year
> he spent almost a week getting down all the plaster (stripping the whole lot
> back to the brikwork where necessary) from all the walls and ceilings in our
> hallway (with a simple chisel and a klaw hammer). It was a lot of plaster
> that came off those walls. I believe it took about 700 kg dry weight to
> replace it all.

Wow.

I don't like plaster.  Too hard to get anything into it to hang things,
was my experience at my mother's new (actually, rather old) house.  (I
say new because she bought it in 1999, but it was built in the 1930s.
At least, the original part of it was.  It had an addition sometime
before 1980, and then another one IIRC in 1992.  The last addition is a
nice large room, on the order of 6m X 6m.)  I've got a system worked out
now for putting things up when it's wood studs for the frame and drywall
for the wall surface.

        Julia