Following that reasoning, the job could be done in only six months by
working 24 hours per day. Unfortunately, it is more complicated than that.
Things like the need for rest, recreation and social activities tend to get
in the way.

> Quality has often been sacrificed to meet an unrealistic deadline.

Quality has often been sacrificied even after repeatedly extending the
deadline. I submit the various versions of Micro$oft Windows as evidence...
:-)

Jeroen