"Adam C. Lipscomb" wrote:

> I learned the 3 rules of plumbing some years ago, and I'll share them
> with you now.
>
> (1) Hot water goes on the left
> (2) Shit goes downhill
> (3) Payday's on Friday
>
> That's really all you need to know.
>
> Well, that, and (4) Make triple sure you've turned off the water
> before touching the pipes.

Especially make sure you've turned off the water to the toilet before
you start mucking with its innards.  (Dan never *did* get a coherent
explanation as to why I was mopping up the bottom of the shelf with a
towel, but I think he figured it out.  And that was 2 houses ago, and I
haven't neglected *that* detail since.)

I got good enough with toilets, I was able to fix the problem at my
mother's aunt's house with less than $10 worth of parts.  Saved her a
plumber's bill, which she was happy about.

Oh, and before you disconnect the water pipe going into the toilet,
having a decent-sized bowl to stick under it to catch the last bit that
didn't leave the tank when you flushed after turning off the water works
a lot better than just a mess of towels, but have the towels handy, just
in case.  (A bucket may be too deep.)

        Julia

who is hoping not to have to make any toilet adjustments for a good long
time to come