Nick wrote:
I'm always open to suggestions on how to make
the difficult trade-off between list governance and free-ranging discussion,
self-determination as a group, etc.
First, let me state on-list as I did privately in an email to Nick and Julia that I support their decision.

In response to what Nick says above, I'd like to pose an open question to the list. I'm interested in responses that apply to governance in general, and also specifically to our current situation re: Jeroen.

This question also applies to story that was recently posted (or rather the link to the story was posted) concerning the difference between the European political worldview and the American political worldview.

Does a truly democratic society need police, or is there some other, better way to handle disruptive behavior and those who behave disruptively?

Reggie Bautista