Russell Chapman wrote:

> What's new is the smart card children use to buy this stuff. Parents
> have the option to allow/disallow various foods by item or category, or
> allow weekly quotas of specific foods/categories. Because parents aren't
> giving the children cash to buy their lunch (as I received when at
> school), they can't spend it at a lolly shop on the way to school (as I
> may have done...). So it is easy to say little Johnny can have 3
> ice-creams per week, and no chicken nuggets, or little Mary's
> orthodontist has said no sodas while her braces are on so she can only
> drink fruit juice etc. The volunteers running the shop don't have to
> know any dietary requirements or become censors of a child's eating
> habits - it's all in the computer system. It's not perfect but it's a
> big step forward in promoting healthy eating during school years.

Well that should be a boost for trade and unfortunatly bullying. I mean if
your parents think you are sensible and don't limit your credit range, you'd
be a prime target. Or if you have got a limited card you could be bullied to
get a non-limited one from your parent. So with bullying practices in
schools as they are at the moment I'm not so terribly sure they idea as a
whole is a good one. I mean the card (e.g. no cash) is a good idea. But I'd
be more in favour of mandatory nutrional classes at school and limiting the
availabillity of fatty and/or unhealthy foods in the school cafetaria.

Sonja