And Japan spends more than the UK?? Weird.

Doesn't their military take on a lot of roles assumed by other agencies in most countries as well? Almost like an FBI role? Plus what we would call a State Emergency Service role (medivac, logistics support etc) and what we would call a Coastwatch role (fisheries patrol, immigration enforcement etc).

Also, I think Russia is a bigger driver of Japanese defence spending than China or NK. The territorial disputes with China are over largely useless and irrelevant areas, the disputes with Russia in the Pacific go back much further and cover larger areas.

Cheers
Russell C.