On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 01:43:43PM +0100, Sonja van Baardwijk-Holten wrote:
> Erik Reuter wrote:

> > And that is one of the choices Gautam refers to. Planning ahead to
> > protect yourself is prudent and serious; not doing so is a choice.
>
> so what is the point you are making?

Oh, you must have missed it. I'll repeat. Planning ahead to protect
yourself is prudent and serious; not doing so is a choice.

> > And you believe Europe has mastered these additional foreign policy
> > techniques?
>
> No, they didn't master it.

Okay, let's review. By your own words, the EU military forces can't
protect themselves from an unexpected attack, and when they try to
protect others the only thing they can do is retreat. But wait, there is
more to foreign policy than military force. But, the EU hasn't mastered
diplomatic foreign policy either.

Just why should the EU seriously on military and foreign policy matters?

> put effort into it and make a lot more use of it. That we have to,
> because of state the military is in in our countries, to me, doesn't
> feel like such a bad thing.

Efforts and feelings do not equal results. But hey, it feels good to act
morally superior and keep the mean dog locked up out of sight until it
is needed. When it is needed the mean dog must quickly do as it is told
and then get back in the doghouse. Good dog!

> The EU countries have a force that to them is usefull in the
> international arena. Not to the US, but to themselves and their
> interests. Maybe we should argue semantics before drawing conclusions.

I understood perfectly well what you meant. It is just absurd, as my
snippage showed.

> Exuse me.... could you please keep content together.

Oh, sorry, it seems I haven't mastered the EU technique of insulting and
retreating.

<EU_mode>

[turns around and bends over]

I fart in your general direction!

[runs like mad, not to return to this subject]

</EU_mode>

--
"Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       http://www.erikreuter.net/