From: "J. van Baardwijk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Scouted: Dell follows Apple: Eliminates Floppies
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 15:33:03 +0100

At 05:52 10-2-2003 -0500, Erik Reuter wrote:

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 07:35:38PM +0900, G. D. Akin wrote:
> I have taken VB and VBA on and find I actually like it a lot.

Ugh. I don't do a lot under Windows, but one thing I would like to have
is an alternative to MS Visual Basic. Is there a non-MS programming
language, as easy to use with the graphical interfaces of the OS as
Visual Basic, and preferably free or very cheap (<$100)? Anyone?
<snip>

One comment about buying it at on-line auctions: make sure that the software on offer comes *with* the manuals. A few years ago I was looking for this kind of stuff, and found that it's often just the software (without the manuals) that's being sold.

I just want to mention that if the manuals aren't included, you *do* have alternatives.

1) Check for manuals online (PDF, PDB, TXT, HTML or DOC format). (Every once in a while, one hits a newsgroup or made available through a website.)
2) Check for books on Amazon, Barnes and Noble or eBay. (Can be pricey)
3) Check your local university library for programming textbooks. (Unsure if this would be helpful in Korea?)

Jon