on 10/2/03 10:52 am, Erik Reuter at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 07:35:38PM +0900, G. D. Akin wrote:
>> I have taken VB and VBA on and find I actually like it a lot.
>
> Ugh. I don't do a lot under Windows, but one thing I would like to have
> is an alternative to MS Visual Basic. Is there a non-MS programming
> language, as easy to use with the graphical interfaces of the OS as
> Visual Basic, and preferably free or very cheap (<$100)? Anyone?

A Windows version of the REALbasic 5.0 IDE,  http://www.realbasic.com/ is
due Q1 and the standard edition download version is $99.95

"October 1, 2002 . Austin, TX - REAL Software announced today that the next
version of REALbasic will support both Macintosh and Windows as development
platforms. REALbasic for Macintosh users have been able to create
applications for both Macintosh and Windows since 1999. This new
version will allow Windows users to do the same thing. This will
make it easier for Macintosh developers to create Windows
applications and Windows developers to create Macintosh applications. "

I have been using it on the Mac since before version 1.0, and it is pretty
good. I think it will be available in March.

REALbasic has a great visual interface builder.

"REALbasic is a modern, strongly-typed, Object-Oriented language which
combines the best of BASIC with powerful OOP features, including:
Classes and Subclass Inheritance
Properties, Methods, and Events
Polymorphism, Class Interfaces, Virtual Methods, and Type Casting
Constructors, Destructors, and Automatic Garbage Collection"

"REALbasic compiles stand-alone, double-clickable, royalty-free applications
for Macintosh, Mac OS X, and Windows.

REALbasic provides native User Interface elements for each platform,
abstracting you from the details of UI implementation.
Compiled, not interpreted
Use platform-specific code in your application
Conditional compilation
Native interface widgets on all platforms "
--
William T Goodall
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

A computer without a Microsoft operating system is like a dog without bricks
tied to its head.