I don't think you're going to find graphical interfaces coming that cheap...
but I'll recommend Python as a free/low-cost alternative to VB.  It works
fine under various OSes, including Windows.  I'm doing a lot of my work with
Visual Python in Visual Studio.Net, which can be had fairly inexpensively if
you buy the academic version.

However, if you're hoping for graphical tools to design UIs, I haven't seen
anything in the free/open source world that gets there.  And last time I
used VB, it was still a whole lot more irritating to assemble a quick UI
than HyperCard.  But I haven't used either one for a few years.

BTW, didja know that VB was invented to be HyperCard for Windows?

There are lots of tools for Java, but it's really a lot to learn if you're
not going to use it continuously and for things that will be widely deployed
or built by teams.

Nick

--
Nick Arnett