Now that I'm getting some energy back, I propose that it's time to discuss
the list and copyright.  Jeroen's legal notice is inappropriate, I believe,
so I'd like to propose a new list policy that would deal with such matters
as simply as possible.

So here is my proposal:

COPYRIGHT POLICY
The intent of this policy is to ensure that postings to this list are
treated no differently than postings to  similar Internet-based mailing
lists.  Therefore, your postings may not contain language that would alter
others' rights to make copies.  This policy is not intended to define such
rights, which are determined and evolve in other venues.

--

In other words, I don't want us to try and decide what is or is not okay in
terms of archiving, copying or publishing these messages.  All I'm proposing

So... there are two things that I'd like to discuss:  Is such a policy a
good idea?  If so, does the wording above accomplish it?  Whaddya say?

In about a week, I'd like to look at the debate and scratch my head until
some semblance of consensus emerges.

Finally, I'll add that one of the most impressive things I've seen lately
was a group of people who clearly knew how to disagree with each other, yet
stay focused on *making a good decision* rather than on winning the
argument.  They were activist residents of a very poor community, who
apparently haven't been infected by big media's protrayal of politics as a
cynical game.  This is not about who's going to win; it's about what's best
for our community.

Nick

--
Nick Arnett