Nick Arnett wrote:

So here is my proposal:

COPYRIGHT POLICY
The intent of this policy is to ensure that postings to this list are
treated no differently than postings to  similar Internet-based mailing
lists.  Therefore, your postings may not contain language that would alter
others' rights to make copies.  This policy is not intended to define such
rights, which are determined and evolve in other venues.

Do people ever post anything here which really would involve copyright. Short stories, op-ed pieces etc?
Brad posts links to his web site, as does Dr Brin, whenever they post stuff like that.
Can't we just say that any such disclaimers will be ignored?

To take it to the other extreme - can we have a filter on the mailer daemon that holds all posts containing the word copyright for moderation?

Maybe it would be best just to ignore messages which contain the disclaimers, as Erik suggested, even though it requires a level of co-operation not often seen.

Cheers
Russell C.