Eh?  Java was originally intended as a set-top box programming language -- a
way to distribute multimedia software to televisions.  It was called Oak in
those days.  Kim Polese (founder of Marimba) was its original product
manager.  I was doing strategic consulting in those days and Kim brought me
in to ask if I could come up with ways to make money with it in set-top
boxes.  Though I would have loved to have had the work, I couldn't honestly
come up with a strategy that made sense.  Neither could anyone else,
apparently, so Sun steered it in the direction it has gone.

The footnote is that I saw Kim at a party a couple of weeks ago and told her
that I'm having the same kind of conversations at Sun all over again...

Nick