I wrote:
> Given the fact that Java was originally intended in part as a
> tool to break
> Micro$oft's dominance of the industry, the irony of that is just
> staggering...

Nick replied:
Eh? Java was originally intended as a set-top box programming language -- a
way to distribute multimedia software to televisions. It was called Oak in
those days.

I stand corrected. Let me rephrase. When I first heard about Java, it was in an article that described it as a language where you could write a program once and compile it anywhere, so as to help narrow the software gap between Windows and other OS's. Am I correct in understanding that the "compile anywhere" promise has not been achieved yet?

Reggie Bautista