----- Original Message -----
From: "Marvin Long, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2003 10:22 AM
Subject: Re: Lawyer Arrested for Wearing a 'Peace' T-Shirt

> On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Julia Thompson wrote:
>
> > "Marvin Long, Jr." wrote:
> >
> > > Interesting - there's a dispute of fact, it seems.  The complaint
suggests
> > > the two men were actively stopping other shoppers.  In none of the
news
> > > stories I've read, however, do the mall cops actually repeat that
> > > allegation.  They just allege that other shoppers were disturbed by
the
> > > shirts in some vague way.  If the real offense was that the men were
> > > harrassing people physically, why were they not asked to leave for
that
> > > behavior instead of being asked, at first, just to remove the shirts?
> > >
> > > It looks like the charges have been dropped:
> > >
> > > http://www.msnbc.com/local/WNYT/M276307.asp?0dm=C249N
> >
> > According to your link, they were, and one of them complied.  The other
> > didn't, was asked to leave, and then was arrested for trespassing.
>
> Yes - they were asked to remove the shirts.  But if the men were
> physically accosting people, which is what the complaint appears to
> allege, why ask them just to remove their shirts?

Out of curiosity, what if a group of anti-abortionists were wearing shirts
with anti-abortion slogans on it and coming to the mall every day to talk
to shoppers.  No accosting, just asking people if they think that people
have a right to kill their own children, etc.

I'm not trying to make this into an abortion debate, just trying to see the
boundaries.

Dan M.

Dan M.