----- Original Message -----
From: "Marvin Long, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2003 12:27 PM
Subject: Re: Lawyer Arrested for Wearing a 'Peace' T-Shirt

> On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Dan Minette wrote:
>
> > > Reductio ad absurdum.  Nobody is claiming that here.
> >
> > The reference to brownshirt alludes to that, I think.
>
> "Self-appointed brownshirt" - please get the whole quote.

Fair enough.
> yes, certainly alludes
> to the willingness of some ordinary people to behave like fascist gits
> under certain circumstances and when given a convenient excuse.  If
> private property makes it legal for them to do so, it doesn't make the
> mall cops - or perhaps I should say mall management, or the Macy's clerk,
> or whoever it was that couldn't tolerate the sight of dissenting speech -
> nongits.

Reading through the complaint, I think what they couldn't stand is a heated
arguement in the mall.  And, that's exactly what the person arrested was
interested in.  I agree that he probably didn't start the arguement, but
was happy when it started.

Arguements in malls are bad for business.  I think you need look no further
than Macy's wanting no distractions from the most important business of
shopping at Macy's.

> > I also agree that we need to work on having more civil disagreements.
> > think there was no comment on Gautam's examples because there was no
one
> > who was interested in defending the behavior of the folks Gautam had
issue
> > with.  It was wrong to do that, pure and simple.  That is another
example
> > of people not being willing to put the effort into civility.
>
> ...? I must have missed this.

Subject: From Sgt. Stryker's Weblog

"One of my neighbors, who's in the Army and works in
Oakland, was caught off post in her uniform by a bunch
of people expressing their displeasure with the
non-war in Iraq. They surrounded and harassed her for
a good while until a few sailors happened upon the
scene and extracted her from the situation just as it
was starting to get a little rough. This isn't an
uncommon occurrence around here but it's the first
I've heard of it happening to someone I know.

http://windsofchange.net/archives/003147.html

IMHO, it is incumbent for each side of the political debate to strongly
object to nasty tactics from those who they tend to agree with.

Dan M.

Dan M.