--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Erik Reuter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The Founding Fathers considered the existance of a Creator to be
> > "self-evident" as well, so I don't think that you are appealing
to a
> > source whom you want to consider authoritative.
>
> Hmmm, can you provide sources where one or more wrote "the
existance of
> God is self-evident"? I'm curious, even though it is not important.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created
equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain
unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the
pursuit of Happiness."

> That is why
> they created system with separation of church and state.

They created no such thing.   They simply prohibited the
establishment of a State religion.

As it is, the very first act of the very first US Congress was to
certify the electoral votes of Washington as the first President.
The second act was to appoint a Congressional chaplain.

But obviously, the Founder's didn't consider the existence of God to
be self-evident... :)

> I think most people would. Throughout world history, most civlilized
> cultures and societies have considered unprovoked murder of "us" to
be
> acceptable behavior. Of course, if you were considered "them", then
> murder was sometimes acceptable, but I'd say this was more a case of
> people not recognizing similarity between themselves and the other
> than considering murder acceptable. Interestingly, the "other" who
was
> allowed to be killed was often defined by difference of religion.

Most, however, is not self-evident, and is not knowledge.  Indeed, it
still opens up the distinct possibility of laws imposing a set of
beliefs upon another group of people that does not believe in these
beliefs.

> > Most importantly, what about my other questions?  What is your
opinion
> > of those other laws?
>
> Same.

In other words, all laws you agree with are self-evident?

>Which leads to the
> question of whether children can consent to something. Most
societies
> agree than 5 year olds can't consent to complicated social
activities,
> and 21 year olds can. The exact age of consent for different
activities
> and different cultures and different people varies quite a bit. Best
> possible world -- a determination would be made on a case-by-case
> basis whether a "child" was able to consent to certain activities
> based on the child's development and the activity. But we aren't
that
> sophisticated yet, so in America we just choose 18 for sex and
that's
> it. Is it a belief?  Probably, but most people recognize it as a
belief
> of convenience. Quite different than many religious beliefs, I
> think.

Its only different because you happen to agree with it.   If this was
a belief being imposed upon you, over your strenuous disagreement,
you likely would take a different view.

So, are laws that impose the belief that ifanticide is immoral upon
someone else evil?   If one believes that infanticide until the age
of 5 is moral, there is no self-interest effect that would lead you
to believe that infanticide is immoral.   Yet, our societies impose
these laws upon others?   Is this evil?

JDG