On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 07:42:20PM -0400, Erik Reuter wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 06:29:39PM -0500, Robert Seeberger wrote:
>
> > Do the lamps plug in or screw in?  If they plug in they likely have
> > a built in shunt resistor to provide continuity.
>
> Plug in, as Julia described. And your hypothesis is disproved by the
> data already presented. Any old thing, such as an enterprise light,
> can do the job.

On second thought, Julia, can you clarify something? I had interpreted
your statement about the Enterprise plug to be that it did not come with
the string of lights -- it was something "randomly" purchased. Is that
true?

The reason I ask is that Rob's hypothesis (that the string is wired in
series and there is a resistor in each bulb in parallel with the bulb's
filament) works if the Enterprise plug was designed to work with your
light strings (in which case it would have an electrical connection to
keep the series circuit alive).

The best test I can think of to see whose hypothesis is correct (short
of Julia taking apart a string to see how it is wired) would be to check
whether something like a wooden toothpick or plastic pen cap can bring
the string back on when jammed into the socket.

Incidentally, I've definitely seen packs of bulbs labeled "parallel
wiring" at the store several years ago. I may have to buy a set and take
them apart next holiday season! :-)

--
"Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       http://www.erikreuter.net/