On
> Behalf Of Ronn!Blankenship
> Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 4:20 AM
> To: Killer Bs Discussion
> Subject: Re: Update
>
> At 02:14 PM 7/9/03 -0700, Gautam Mukunda wrote:
> >The full paragraph from the press release reads:
> >In Advent Rising, a common legend pervades the galaxy
> >- that of a powerful, ancient race that will one day
> >unite the universe.  Millions of cultures from vastly
> >distant worlds revere and hallow these mythological
> >beings known as humans.  One race, the Seekers, know
> >humans actually exist and are threatened by their
> >potential power.  Under the guise of benevolent
> >explorers, the Seekers travel throughout the galaxy in
> >a desperate attempt to eradicate any human society
> >they unearth.
> >
> >It doesn't seem like that really has much to do with
> >Uplift, unless Dr. Brin is revealing the secret
> >identity of the Progenitors to us unintentionally...
> >:-)
>

> What was the race called in _Star Trek_ which was supposed to have
seeded
> the Galaxy with the ancestors of the various intelligent races?

I thought they were called the "Progenitors" although I could be
confusing episodes/series.

A review of the episode you're referring to is here:
http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~werdna/sttng/tlynch/chase.rev.html
(It doesn't mention the name of that race)

And the quote that wraps up the major plot points in the episode, spoken
by a projection of one of those progenitors:

"You're wondering who we are ... why we have done this ... how it has
come that I stand before you, the image of a being from so long ago.
Life evolved on my planet before all others in this part of the galaxy.
We left our world, explored the stars, and found none like ourselves.
Our civilization thrived for ages -- but what is the life of one race,
compared to the vast stretches of cosmic time? We knew that one day we
would be gone, and nothing of us would survive -- so we left _you_. Our
scientists seeded the primordial oceans of many worlds, where life was
in its infancy. The seed codes directed your evolution toward a physical
form resembling ours: this body you see before you, which is of course
shaped as yours is shaped, for you _are_ the end result. The seed codes
also contain this message, which is scattered in fragments on many
different worlds. It was our hope that you would have to come together
in fellowship and companionship to hear this message -- and if you can
see and hear me, our hope has been fulfilled. You are a monument, not to
our greatness, but to our existence. That was our wish: that you too
would know life, and would keep alive our memory. There is something of
us in each of you, and so, something of you in each other. Remember us."

> Point:  It's not exactly a unique idea.

But the concept is pretty cool. :)

The advent rising website is here:
www.adventtrilogy.com