From: "Jim Sharkey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Bryon Daly wrote:
>From: "Jim Sharkey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>Of course, since Star Control II was a *GREAT* game, at least
>>they're borrowing from the best.  :)
>Star Control 2 is one of the best games I've ever played.  I still
>occasionally listen to some mp3's of the music from it!

Oooh, where'd you get them?

The dearly departed Napster.

I just went and took a look at them that I actually have the majority of the SC2 music in .mod format, which is actually their original format. I had downloaded some .mp3 music later because the .mod Ur-Quan theme has an odd minor glitch and in seraching Napster, I found some other ones that I didn't have. It seems that the .mp3 versions are ripped from the later 3DO port of Starcon2, and sound a bit different than the PC version I'm used to, so I guess I should have said I still listen to the .mods rather .mp3s. (I have a nice freeware modplayer, but Winamp plays 'em fine).

FYI: the .mod format, originally used by Amiga computers, uses small digitized samples as instruments to play the music notes, which makes for a vastly smaller file than digitizing the music itself does. For example, the Quasi-space theme .mp3 file is almost 2 MB, while the quasi-space .mod file is 43 KB! (They are not exactly the same song (since the .mp3 is from the 3DO version), so it's not a directly valid comparison, but it's a decent rough comparison

Anyway, I have a zip file with 34 .mods from SC2 - it's about 1.9MB. I'd upload it to my website, but attbi.com converted to Comcast, but I just discovered they didn't convert my web space, which is now apparently gone. I'll have to go eventually through some rigamarole to set it up again, but I don't know when I'll get to that...

So if your interested, I can email the file to you (and anyone else who's interested). Also, Winamp plays the .mods fine, but the modplayer I have (Mod4Win) might be of some interest since it provides more info about the music. The .zip for that is 850 KB so I can email that to anyone interested as well.

-bryon