On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 06:49:35PM -0400, Robert J. Chassell wrote:

>     > But I still wonder what the standard temperature is?  What is
>     > the lapse rate?  How much does temperature drop per kilometer of
>     > increased altitude?  How much does dew point drop?
>
>     Those questions are well beyond my calculation abilities. If you
>     are interested in doing a simulation, I'd be willing to work with
>     you, ....
>
> Is a simulation necessary?

As I said, I don't know how to calculate it from first principles, so
I think it is. Of course, it is possible there is some clever way to
calculate it that I don't know.

> I am not a physicist, but I thought that there is a standard formula
> for computing temperature and pressure according to a dry adiabatic
> lapse rate.

But is it a phenomenological formula? I would think measurements were
made of the lapse rate, and then a curve was fit to the data.

> That would be a formula for what happens when you reduce the press on
> a parcel of air adiabatically.  How did the `standard atmosphere',
> which is a table of temperature and pressure, get defined?

My guess is above. Where did you see the table? Didn't they give any