----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert J. Chassell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, July 20, 2003 5:12 PM
Subject: Re: Irregulars query: air pressure in spinning habitats

>     > What is the heat conductivity of dirt, rock, and nickle-iron?  Does
>     > anyone one know?
>
>     Dirt and rock are similar, in the range 0.2 - 2 W / m K.
>
>     Iron is about 84 W / m K
>
>     Nickel is 92 W / m K
>
>     air at 300K is 0.026 W / m K
>
> Thank you.  Am I right in thinking that for air, this is the heat
> conductivity for still air, and not the heat transfer capabilities of
> moving air?

Has this been mentioned?
Cool air at the axis should be heavier and would try to displace warmer,
less dense air.
This would cause air currents that would speed up heat transfer in the
atmosphere.
I don't think you could expect thermal equilibrium in the scenarios I'm
reading here, but the atmosphere would be fairly dynamic as opposed to the
mostly static metals, regolith, and soils.

Or am I way off base?

xponent
Let There Be Wind Maru
rob