From: "Robert J. Chassell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
"Jim Sharkey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

Use the GIMP.  I do this all the time.  Works really well.  Moreover,
the software not only comes with freedom, but if you choose, you can

Ahhh. Software that comes with freedom! I like the sound of that! Freedom on a floppy! (Or, more-likely, a CD-ROM, but floppy provides alliteration) :-)

(The danger with the GIMP is that you can get carried away adjusting
color balances and the like rather than simply shrinking picture size.
So be prepared.)

I'm a Photoshop guy, myself, but I need to get around to trying out the GIMP.