Robert Seeberger wrote:

> Actually, I had a different motive.
> With all the polarizing discussion on the list lately, dividing us into
> liberal and conservative camps, I wanted to show that there are Americans
> out there who in completely serious tones will make everyone on this list
> appear to have quite similar views.
>
> People, despite our differences in opinion and belief, we have much more in
> common than might seem obvious.
>  I think Smiths speech makes that quite clear.

I like that motivation.

If I'm engaged in debate, before I post, I try to figure out just where
I agree with the person I'm responding to, and then just focus on the
little bits where I disagree.  Maybe I ought to send more responses
quoting the bits I agree with and comment that I agree with those bits.

It's certainly nicer in my head when I figure out where I agree with
someone, and make some sort of a *positive* connection with them, even
if I don't post anything to that effect.

        Julia