--- Kevin Tarr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 09:20 AM 7/29/2003 -0400, you wrote:
> >On Monday, July 28, 2003, at 09:16  PM, Gautam
> Mukunda wrote:
> >>--- Bryon Daly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >My List of Great American Generals (in order):
> >Washington
> >Grant
> >Sherman
> >Marshall
> >Vandergrift
> >Gray
> >

> >john
>

> Didn't we (the list) have the discussion before?
>
> I'd put Pershing above Grant, remove Sherman, add
> Winfield Scott. I
> seriously don't know Vandergrift and Gray.
>
> Kevin T. - VRWC

Have to admit I don't know Vandergrift or Gray either,
at least not at first thought.  I think my list would
look something like:
Washington
Grant
Sherman
Eisenhower
Green
Patton
Franks
Marshall
Bradley
Pershing

Heavily weighting battlefield performance over overall
impact (in which case you'd put Marshall and Pershing
higher).
The case for Washington is obvious and I've already
made mine for Grant.  Sherman, I think, might actually
be the most impressive military figure of the war.
His tactical abilities were astonishing - his
campaigns in the South were consistently successful
and consistently inflicted very high casualties on his
opponents while his own armies took very low ones.
Even more impressive (to me) is his strategic vision -
he understood that breaking the will of the South was
the only way to win the war.  Finally, he was able to
do it all without bitterness - after the war he
offered surrender terms so generous that Congress
repudiated them.

Eisenhower again is obvious.  Green was Washington's
commander in the South during the American Revolution
- the one who outmanuevered Cornwallis and had as much
as anyone not named Washington to the eventual
triumph.  He's been somewhat forgotten, but a really
remarkable figure.

Patton needs no defense from me.  Likewise Marshall
and Bradley.  Pershing I'll admit I really don't know
enough about, so his low placement might be my own
ignorance.  If anyone has a good biography to
recommend, I'd be very interested.

Franks is, I think, a choice that might surprise
people a little bit.  I'm quite serious, though.
Tommy Franks, as leader of CENTCOM, led the liberation
of two countries at a cost of less than 500 allied
lives.  Where the Soviet Union and Iran were unable to
make progress with years of effort, he won in weeks.
In Afghanistan he smashed the Taliban using
unconventional special forces tactics where the USSR
failed completely.  In Iraq he used a battle plan so
daring that Patton himself would have quailed at it -
and won a victory that _Dissent_, a leftist magazine,
said can be compared only to Agincourt, and probably
not even there.  If that sort of performance, not once
but _twice_, doesn't get you on the roster of
America's greatest generals, what does?

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]