--- Doug Pensinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I don't know enough about the non Civil
> War/Revolutionary War generals
> to have an educated opinion, but having read the
> McPherson, Shelby Foote
> and some of Caton's stuff, I have to wonder on what
> merits you rate
> Grant so highly.  Tactically I'd have to rate
> Sherman and Stonewall
> Jackson higher.  Grant seems to have been more of a
> bulldozer than
> anything else and Cold Harbor is a very troubling
> episode, IMO.
> Doug

Well, my assessment of Grant starts with John Keegan's
The Mask of Command.  It's surely worth something that
Keegan picked Grant as his exemplar of democratic
military leadership.  Beyond that, however - and
granting you the disastrous mistake of Cold Harbor - I
think that Grant's reputation as a bulldozer is wildly
overstated.

Grant's ability to make up for his initial mistakes at
Shiloh - mistakes born, I think, of inexperience -
strikes me as being quite remarkable.  Even more
impressive to me is his Vicksburg campaign, where his
decision to abandon his lines of supply was a daring
gamble in violation of all accepted military wisdom,
redeemed by the fact that it worked (shades of Tommy
Franks, I guess :-)

His strategic concept of the war is, to me, the most
impressive part of his accomplishments.  Grant
understood, as only Sherman and Lincoln did as well,
that the obliteration of the Southern Army was the
path to victory.  That seems simple, but how many of
his predecessors were able to figure it out?  Finally,
I think that Grant's reputation as a bulldozer isn't
really substantiated by his results.  His casualty
rates were far below those of almost any other General
in the war - far below Lee's, for example, and I think
only Sherman among major Union officers did better by
that critical metric.

I agree with you on Stonewall Jackson's extraordinary
tactical abilities, but he never (so far as I can
tell) seems to have developed a strategic concept of
how to win the war to go with them.  It may not have
been his place to do so, but that's why I didn't list
him in the top rank with the others, all of whom did
display that understanding, something which is, imo,
the single most important attribute of a commanding
general.  All else - even operational skill - is secondary.

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Freedom is not free"