At 08:33 PM 7/29/2003 -0500 Horn, John wrote:
>I'm not sure what you are getting at here.  Terrorism has existed
>for recorded history.  Don't forget that when they win, terrorists
>are called "freedom fighters" or "revolutionaries".

I disagree with this.   Suicide bombings, hijackings, Oklahoma City-style
bombings, etc. all strike me as fairly modern inventions.

>> >We cannot stop every rogue state that wants to build a nuke
>> >or a biological bomb.
>>
>> I disagree with this as well.   With intelligence, the US
>> armed forces are
>> likely to be able to launch successful preemptive strikes against
>any
>> likely such rogue state for the next 100 years.
>
>So, are you saying that this "war" is going to last 100 years?  I'm
>not sure I like that idea...

Sometimes you choose the mission, and sometimes it chooses year.

I firmly believe that the next 100 years are a crucial opportunity to make
the world safe for democracy, as technology gives rogue states ever greater
potential for destruction.  Now is the time to do something about it,
before it is too late.

JDG