From: "John D. Giorgis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Killer Bs Discussion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: When does it end?  (RE: Seth Finkelstein on 16 words)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 22:33:36 -0400

At 08:33 PM 7/29/2003 -0500 Horn, John wrote:
>I'm not sure what you are getting at here.  Terrorism has existed
>for recorded history.  Don't forget that when they win, terrorists
>are called "freedom fighters" or "revolutionaries".

I disagree with this.   Suicide bombings, hijackings, Oklahoma City-style
bombings, etc. all strike me as fairly modern inventions.

No, hijackings and truck bombings are modern inventions technologically but the targeting of civilian populations to incite terror can be traced back 2500 years to the writings of Xenophon, the Greek historian. He lived around 4 or 500 BC, I think.

Just off the top of my head, some other examples of terrorism throughout history:
The Crusades
The Spanish Inquisition
Robespierre's Reign of Terror (late 1700's)
Klu Klux Klan (late 1800's)
The Argentine 'Vanished'
The PLO (post WWII)
The Irish Republican Army
And.... the Basque ETA was started in the 1960's, I believe.

Jon

Le Blog: http://zarq.livejournal.com