Since I'm supposed to be a liberal (and no one else
has posted anything about these two), I thought I'd
try a little 'Dogpiling.'

I'd never heard of Katha Pollit.  Here are a couple of
articles by her in "The Nation" (which I'm presuming
is a liberal publication?); the first is on the
current administration stance on the Convention for
the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against
Women (CEDAW), an issue which has been brought up
on-list.  It strikes me as a little shrill, but the
basic premise is solid - when women are devalued and
kept "in their place," i.e. not allowed to vote or
participate in public society, to own land or even
their own bodies, etc. - the US ought to be at the
forefront of empowering women, not ranked with Somalia
and Syria.  I didn't know that Bush apparently
initially said he would sign it; apparently the
religious right is firmly opposed to it.  She mentions
some of the facts I brought up in a thread about AIDS:
the inability of many developing nations' women to
protect themselves against it, as they don't even have
control over their bodies.
http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20020708&s=pollitt

This one is about 'the disgraceful state of
journalism' WRT plagiarism, lack of fact-checking, and
underhanded racism; I recognised the NYTimes
reporter's name, but not the others.  I think she
indicts both liberal and conservative papers, but *is*
kinder to the Times.
http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20030616&s=pollitt

And this bashes William Bennett for being a hypocrite
WRT gambling and having only 2 children instead of '6
or 7.'  She sarcastically notes that "_The Book of
Virtues_ evoked the old Aristotelian/
Stoic/Christian/Early American civic values: piety,
sobriety, temperance, honesty, prudence, self-control,
setting an example" - but later calls for "kindness
and tolerance and looking into your own heart and
cutting other people some slack because you never
really know what demons they're contending with."
<wry>  Which she doesn't do for WB...
http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20030602&s=pollitt

OK, so she's got a left-liberal agenda and her columns
on the war are too-eager to jump on 'facts' (museum
looting) that are not.  She doesn't seem to be a
"femiNazi" although she's clearly biased - in her
column about the Lysistrata Project, noting frex "But
for the long haul, gender-based appeals to women
trouble me, even when they're funny" and that "many
fathers are as deeply invested in hands-on parenting
as mothers."  She decries the way this administration
sees the world in black&white, and prefers
multilateralism to unilateralism;  she wasn't one of
the 'Left who ignore Saddam Hussein's evil.'
http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20030519&s=pollitt
http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20030519&s=pollitt
http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20021014&s=pollitt

If this is representative of her views, I see little
to get worked up about - her agenda and spin are
clear, but she seems to have at least some awareness
of her bias - heck, she even swipes at Hilary for "the
rightward tilt of her politics--her support for
welfare reform, capital punishment, "family values"
and so on."  <grin>  Calling *Hillary* 'Right'?!!  ;)
http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20030630&s=pollitt

If someone has a link to an article in which she
flat-out lies (I noted the snide swipe at Bennett WRT
'other things that might have gone on during his
gambling forays' - definite cheap shot!) or foams at
the mouth, I'll certainly read it.  But I won't be
buying her book at the store...  ;)

I have heard the name of Noam Chomsky - um, I thought
he was a poet...

"Book Description: The Minimalist Program consists of
four recent essays that attempt to situate linguistic
theory in the broader cognitive sciences. In these
essays the minimalist approach to linguistic theory is
formulated and progressively developed. Building on
the theory of principles and parameters and, in
particular, on principles of economy of derivation and
representation, the minimalist framework takes
Universal Grammar as providing a unique computational
system, with derivations driven by morphological
properties, to which the syntactic variation of
languages is also restricted. Within this theoretical
framework, linguistic expressions are generated by
optimally efficient derivations that must satisfy the
conditions that hold on interface levels, the only
levels of linguistic representation...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0262531283/104-7650737-8541513
<head jerks up from obfuscationist-babble-induced
near-coma>

Oh, now here is ugliness...defending a denier of the
Holocaust?  And minimizing the atrocities of the Khmer
Rouge?  <curls lip in disgust>
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/6072/chomsky.html

This extremely long article (which I did not read
through) condemns US presidents, who most would
perceive as fairly liberal, such as JFK and Clinton,
as - well, rather heinous (not that they all didn't
have glaring faults, including misrepresenting or
outright lying - but evil?  I don't think so.):
http://www.zmag.org/chomsky/index.cfm

A few excepts from a 1995 interview:
http://flag.blackened.net/revolt/rbr/noamrbr2.html
"...I haven't actually equated the doctrines of the
liberal intellectuals of the Kennedy administration
with Leninists, but I have noted striking points of
similarity - rather as predicted by Bakunin a century
earlier in his perceptive commentary on the new class.
For example, I quoted passages from McNamara on the
need to enhance managerial control if we are to be
truly free, and about how the undermanagement that is
the real threat to democracy is an assault against
reason itself. Change a few words in these passages,
and we have standard Leninist doctrine. I've argued
that the roots are rather deep, in both cases..."

"...I was attracted to anarchism as a young teenager,
as soon as I began to think about the world beyond a
pretty narrow range, and haven't seen much reason to
revise those early attitudes since. I think it only
makes sense to seek out and identify structures of
authority, hierarchy, and domination in every aspect
of life, and to challenge them; unless a justification
for them can be given, they are illegitimate, and
should be dismantled, to increase the scope of human
freedom. That includes political power, ownership and
management, relations among men and women, parents and
children, our control over the fate of future
generations (the basic moral imperative behind the
environmental movement, in my view), and much else.
Naturally this means a challenge to the huge
institutions of coercion and control: the state, the
unaccountable private tyrannies that control most of
the domestic and international economy, and so on. But
not only these. That is what I have always understood
to be the essence of anarchism: the conviction that
the burden of proof has to be placed on authority, and
that it should be dismantled if that burden cannot be
met. Sometimes the burden can be met. If I'm taking a
walk with my grandchildren and they dart out into a
busy street, I will use not only authority but also
physical coercion to stop them. The act should be
challenged, but I think it can readily meet the
challenge. And there are other cases; life is a
complex affair, we understand very little about humans
and society, and grand pronouncements are generally
more a source of harm than of benefit. But the
perspective is a valid one, I think, and can lead us
quite a long way..."

"...A third reason has to do with what the business
press calls the pampered Western workers with their
luxurious lifestyles. With much of Eastern Europe
returning to the fold, owners and managers have
powerful new weapons against the working classes and
the poor at home. GM and VW can not only transfer
production to Mexico and Brazil (or at least threaten
to, which often amounts to the same thing), but also
to Poland and Hungary, where they can find skilled and
trained workers at a fraction of the cost. They are
gloating about it, understandably, given the guiding
values..."

"...What is called 'capitalism' is basically a system
of corporate mercantilism, with huge and largely
unaccountable private tyrannies exercising vast
control over the economy, political systems, and
social and cultural life, operating in close
co-operation with powerful states that intervene
massively in the domestic economy and international
society. That is dramatically true of the United
States, contrary to much illusion. The rich and
privileged are no more willing to face market
discipline than they have been in the past, though
they consider it just fine for the general population.
Merely to cite a few illustrations, the Reagan
administration, which revelled in free market
rhetoric, also boasted to the business community that
it was the most protectionist in post-war US history -
actually more than all others combined. Newt Gingrich,
who leads the current crusade, represents a superrich
district that receives more federal subsidies than any
other suburban region in the country, outside of the
federal system itself. The 'conservatives' who are
calling for an end to school lunches for hungry
children are also demanding an increase in the budget
for the Pentagon, which was established in the late
1940s in its current form because - as the business
press was kind enough to tell us - high tech industry
cannot survive in a pure, competitive, unsubsidized,
'free enterprise' economy, and the government must be
its saviour. Without the saviour, Gingrich's
constituents would be poor working people (if they
were lucky). There would be no computers, electronics
generally, aviation industry, metallurgy, automation,
etc., etc., right down the list. Anarchists, of all
people, should not be taken in by these traditional
frauds..."

Well, some of what he says about corporations is
certainly true, and the military-industrial complex
too - although as a science fiction afectionado, I can
only applaud the civilian applications of advanced
technology.  I think true anarchy would be disastrous,
with warlords slaughtering indiscriminantly - a
descent into living hell.  Challenging authority
prevents totalitarianism, but without some structure
to society, you get chaos - and that means death,
disease, and little-to-no freedom unless you can
defend it with superior weapons.  Not a life I'd want
to live!

So, while I agree with some of the points of both, as
noted above, by their definitions I'm
'rightward-leaning!'  But to over-glorify women as
Pollit seems to do is silly and reactionary (we're
quite capable of genuine meanness and seeing things in
black&white), while promoting 'anarchy' as a viable
mode for society shows a complete lack of
understanding of the human animal, and essentially
calling the United States 'evil to the core' is just
ludicrous.

My prescription for KP:  work at a soup kitchen and
live in the neighborhood for a month.
For NC: go live in Monrovia for a week, and if you
survive, write about your experience of real anarchy

Debbi
My 'Piece' Is *Not* Pink Maru