Erik Reuter wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 10:14:32AM +0530, Ritu wrote:
>
> > Take Delhi for instance. Each year, there are at least 3,000 dowry
> > deaths or bride burnings.
>
> That sounds pretty awful. What is this number as a percentage of
> marriages (or women giving birth) per year?

It *is* awful. As far as the numbers are concerned, it would be about
6.2% of the  number of women giving birth in Delhi each year.
However, these are just the burning deaths. You also have the drowning
and poisoning deaths in the category of 'Dowry related deaths'. A rough
estimate of the numbers would suggest that 60% of the dowry deaths are
caused by burnings and 40% by the other two methods. But the thing is
that the figures for the last two get skewed even worse than the bride
burning figures. Since the majority of the population is Hindu and the
dead are burnt [usually before sunset on the day of the death],
allegations of poison can't always be checked out through autopsies. The
drowning deaths are gain the official numbers wherein the ead bodies are
found. We have no way of knowing how many of the 'missing' brides end up
in wells and lakes.

> > That is the official record, the real number is bound to be higher.
>
> How much higher, do you think?

About 40 - 65% higher than the official figures.

Ritu
GCU 'Tis Sick