On 10 Sep 2003 at 0:53, Jon Gabriel wrote:

> >From: Julia Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Subject: Misplaced mail, interesting neighbor, snake
> >Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 22:42:37 -0500
> >

> <snip>
>
> >Oh, and the neighbor that Dan's most friendly with came over on the
> >weekend to help Dan dispose of a snake.  Turned out to just be a rat
> >snake, and it probably wouldn't have messed with our dogs, but Dan
> >didn't want to take any chances.  (He doesn't know how to identify a
> >rattler by sight, and assumes that all snakes are dangerous.  I can
> >recognize some snakes as harmless, and he'll leave the little ones be
> >on my say-so.)  It was over 5' long.
>
> Five FEET?!?  Is that normal?
>
> I don't have a phobia about snakes, but can't imagine being too
> pleased to see one 5 feet long in my backyard.   Sheesh.  I *can*
> imagine Robin's reaction though.  I'd find her wrapped around any
> ceiling fixture secured more than 15 feet in the air.  :)

Heh. We only have a few types of snakes over here, and the only
poisenous one (Adder) is rare and generally confined to certain
terrain (gorse scrub).

Grass snakes, on the other hand, are common just round here, and I've
been bitten by several including one especially large seven inch
example. Ow.

Andy
Dawn Falcon