Jim Sharkey wrote:

> If by anti-hero you mean whiny little bitch you wanted dead
> by the end of the book, I agree.  :)

I didn't want him dead. At the end of any of the 6 books. :)
But then again, he is more willing to fight Foul in the second series.

> But seriously, I don't even know that I'd call him an
> anti-hero.

I'd call him an anti-hero who then slowly turns into an hero...or
something approaching one anyway.

> It's been a very long time since I read the
> books, but right up until the end, it seemed like he was just
> along for the ride.  He takes almost no action without
> someone forcing him into it.

That is true for the first chronicles at least. But I could never
understand why he was supposed to be all excited about joining a fight
which wasn't his own, in a place he wasn't even sure existed. Some
people, Troy for instance, *would* react that way. But Covenant was
already stretched to the breaking point, emotionally, even before the
series started. He was not willing to give any more of himself than he
had to. So he never acted until he was backed into a corner.
Then there was his attitude towards the use of power, any kind of power.
It wasn't just that he was wary, he seemed to be utterly convinced any
the use of power would inevitably lead to destruction. Another factor
contributing to his inaction.

> I suppose I understand why he acted that way, his believing
> none of world was real and all, but I never could figure out
> the point of creating a protagonist no one would like.  That
> was one of the reasons I disliked _Ancient of Days_, too.

I haven't read _Ancient of Days_ but I could never make myself finish
Donaldson's Gap series - I disliked the protagonist a bit too much.
However, Covenant grew on me. There were reasons enough to dislike him
but I was distracted by the fact almost all of the inhabitants of the
Land were willing to withhold judgment despite their knowledge of his
heinous act. Besides, he never tried to offer excuses for what he did to
Lena.

Ritu

---