Marc Erickson wrote:

> http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20030515.html

> again.  Morton's system can identify iris patterns through dark glasses or
> contact lenses and can do so almost instantly for thousands of people

        Sorry, I don't believe it.  I guess you could use infrared
or some wavelength that the glasses were transparent to.  But if
you're trying to see fine detail in the eyes through dark glasses,
you just don't have the signal-to-noise ratio to do it.  One could
track the barely visible pupils for a few seconds, and then combine
all the images in the hopes of getting more detail--but that wouldn't
be "instant".
        Or if the system does use infrared or whatever, there's no
reason that my dark glasses couldn't be covered in camouflage patterns
that were opaque at that wavelength.

                                ---David

Betting that dark glasses really are "dark" at all reasonable
wavelengths.