On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 02:07:41AM +0100, William T Goodall wrote:

> The solution to the pie being divided unfairly isn't to throw out
> the pie. Getting rid of IP seems like Luddism to me, a return to
> the days of craft work and patronage. IP (copyright in the case of
> music, books and films) allows ordinary people inexpensive access to
> a huge quantity of well-made art, and facilitates a great number of
> the creators of this art to make a full-time living out of creating
> it. That seems like a good thing to me.

Yup, brainwashed. Are you going to become religious next?

> Record companies aren't charities :) And they don't 'help' people -
> they pay them.

You were the one who brought up the idea of contributing to the
artists. How is paying artists not helping them?

> Concert tours often lose money since they are used to promote CD
> sales.  And what about artists who create studio-based recordings
> and don't play live or tour? What about song-writers? What about
> authors? Are they supposed to make a living from speaking tours and
> charging for autographs? And movie makers - I guess they'd have to
> start strip-searching everyone on the way into the theatre to make
> sure there were no cameras.

Yup, brainwashed. You have joined the recording industry religion.
Preach the gospel, brother!

> That's capitalism. They should sign up artists they think are going to
> lose them huge quantities of money?

You were the one who brought up contributing to the artists. But I can
understand how the brainwashing makes you forget these things.

--
Erik Reuter   http://www.erikreuter.net/