--- "Robert J. Chassell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Perhaps people on the list can help:  is the
> following a fair
> description of the nature of the Jewish/Christian
> God, and how it is
> different from the nature of the Moslem God?
>
> And if so, are the fundamental political
> implications as described?
> Are more Moslems likely to believe in false
> conspiracies because of
> these beliefs than US Christians or Jews?
>
> An article in Asia Times Online

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Front_Page/EJ28Aa02.html

This had an interesting perspective on the foundations
of America, BTW, but I think that will be another
post.

> says
>    "... the Jewish God enjoys only a qualified sort
> of omnipotence. His
>    sympathy with mankind, his creation, compels him
> to suffer along
>    with his creatures. He cannot help but hear the
> cry of innocent
>    blood, the complaint of the widow and orphan, the
> mistreated
>    stranger and the oppressed slave...<snip>...
> Friedrich Nietzsche labelled the Jewish deity a God
>  of slaves."

I think a better argument could be made for the Jesus
of the Gospels being perceived as 'deity of slaves,'
as the OT God has power to reach out and blast
offenders, whereas Jesus said 'love your enemies' and
'turn the other cheek.'  Certainly that aspect of
Christianity was employed in hopes of keeping slaves
and serfs complient and submissive to
masters/overlords in various AD cultures.  I seem to
recall that Muslims are also supposed to 'have concern
for the widow and orphan,' BTW.

>"He permits the likes of Abraham and Moses to give
> him a hard time over such things as the destruction
> of Sodom, or
>    exterminating the sinners among the Israelites."

Which is hardly 'master-to-slave' interaction, more
like 'master-to-free-servant' or even
'parent-to-child.'

> Is this a fair characterization.  Is Nietzsche
> correct?

I don't think so, but there *is* a distinct flavor of
democracy, in that a mere man is allowed - and perhaps
is even expected - to question the divine.  My
understanding of Jewish theological teaching (which is
sketchy at best!) is that while God is the ultimate
authority, Man must participate in decision-making
processes, and so must seek knowledge and ask
questions.  My understanding of Islamic teaching (even
sketchier!) is that Allah is not to be questioned,
ever.  That also seems to be the position of extremist
Christians - "it's there in black and white, and don't
you dare question it!"  My moderate Christian
background allows for cultural context and ongoing
re-interpretation of the Bible: 'what does this mean
to us today?'

> The article goes on to say:
>
>    ".... The Christian God even came to earth and
> allowed himself to be
>    crucified. He loves the poor and weak. Indeed,
> weakness ineluctably
>    draws forth his love.  Jewish and Christian
> theologians speak of "divine humility"."
>
> To what extent is this statement false?

If 'weakness' includes will or moral strength; the
Christian God expects (? or at least praises)
followers to (who) persevere in profession of belief
even in the face of torture, as in martyrdom.  If
'weakness' instead means 'powerless in worldly
authority' or 'downtrodden,' that seems to be fairly
accurate.  IMO, of course!

> Who among Christians and Jews
> says `my God is bigger than your God'?

The extremist fundamentalists! And how!

>  Is the notion of "divine
> humility" widespread, or is it understood to be
> purely a matter of
> hypocrisy?  How does the US differ from Germany and
> France?

I'm not really sure if I know what is meant by "divine
humility," although I think that God's promise not to
destroy the world again by flood is an example of it.
I guess I'd call it "compassion."  Are there any
stories in which Greek gods are ever persuaded to 'do
the right thing' by a human, or give a de facto
apology?  Does Prometheus' gift of fire, and his
suffering for that act, not count as 'divine
humility?'  Although he was not the supreme god, he
was still divine; and what about Odin who 'hung on the
tree for nine days and nine nights' IIRC?

>    Not so Allah, the beneficent, the merciful. "For
> Islam, the notion
>    that man's failings more powerfully awake God's
> love than man's merits
>    is an absurd, indeed an impossible thought. Allah
> has pity upon human
>    weaknesses, but the idea that he loves weakness
> more than strength is
>    a form of divine humility that is foreign to the
> God of Mohammed,"
>    wrote the Jewish theologian Franz Rosenzweig.
>
> Is this true?  Or is this a misleading
> characterization of Sunni or Shia theology?

I'd like to see what an Islamic scholar says.

> Here comes the political implications:
>
>   " _Imitatio dei_ may explain why Americans and
> Muslims seek quite
>    different attributes in their political leaders.
> More important
>    than strength and intelligence in the character
> of an American
>    presidential candidate is humility"...<snip>

Humph!  Not "more," but it is a needed quality.  <wry>
 And somehow I see a heck of a lot of arrogance in
GWB's stance on the world stage!  Of course, we have a
kind of schizophrenic stance on how one ought to
present oneself, anyway: Be strong, but kind.  Be
proud, but polite.  Win, but don't rub it in.  Don't
be a sore loser.  Don't toot your own horn.  [I think
Reggie commented on this aspect too.]

>    "More than anything else, Americans want their
> leaders to listen to
>    them. A president had better be a better listener
> than a talker. That
>    is what Americans expect from their God, after
> all, and all the more
>    so from a president who is a mere human.
>
>    The sort of leader who evoked adulation in the
> Arab world, eg, a Gamal
>    Abdel Nasser, produces only revulsion among
> Americans." ....
>
> Is the theological-political connection right?  Is
> it fair to say that
> many people do wish to behave with the same
> qualities as their God?

Yes, at least from a Christian viewpoint.  In Sunday
School one is told to "be as little Christs in the
world..."

> If so, and if the qualities are as stated, does this
> predefine the
> attributes that Americans seek in their presidents,
> on the one hand,
> and that Eqyptians and others seek in their leaders,
> on the other?

Not all attributes, but some, yes.

> To what extent are people living in France and
> Germany different,
> although nominally or actually Christian?

<scratches head>
Do they share our bizarre "humble arrogance?"  Maybe
"arrogant humility" is more accurate.

> To what extent are the divisions among Jews,
> Christians, and Moslems
> important; or is this something that conjoins
> Protestants of all types
> with Catholics, so long as they are American, and
> separates them from
> their co-religionists in France and Germany, and
> separates them from
> Moslems who are as far apart themselves as
> Protestants and Catholics
> were during the European religious wars?

To those sure they Hold The Truth, such divisions seem
all-important, speaking as one Who Can Be Certain Of
Little, But Is OK With That.  :)

To harp on a favorite theme, I have little to no
quarrel with the tolerant of any faith; but I have
little to no patience with those who demand that I see
the world *only in their way.*  I have much more in
common philosophically with a Reform Jew than a
follower of Pat Buchanan.  Of course, I think that
Reform Judaism is an American movement, so that would
make it 'American first,' wouldn't it?

Debbi
GSV Whew!